The last couple of years, PSNA leadership has strived to improve communication with neighbors and keep our meetings and decisions open and accountable to all. The organization does not serve its leadership; to the contrary, its board strives to serve the greater good for our neighborhood democratically. But there is no true democracy when neighbors don’t get involved or come out and vote during elections.
We welcome neighborhood involvement at the Nov. 7 PSNA meeting. Reasons to join us include:
• Guest speaker Gerardo Mouet, Executive Director of Santa Ana Parks, Rec., and Community Services, will discuss concerns at our neighborhood park, such as criminal activity, the slow pace of opening a trail into the park along the west side of the railroad tracks, and pedestrian access at night over Santiago bridge.
• Santa Ana Zoo Director Kent Yamaguchi will update us on the zoo’s future plans.
• The business portion of our meeting will include updates on all PSNA committees and event plans.
• We’ll hold our annual election and need neighbors to serve on the PSNA board, especially from the south end of the neighborhood, which historically lacks full representation.
• We need neighbors who don’t intend to run for PSNA office to help facilitate the election and/or share their voice via their vote.
If you’d like to run for election, a description of board member duties and qualifications can be found on our website under Articles 5-9 of our bylaws: https://park-santiago.com/bylaws/. In summary, to run for office, you need to merely show up at the November meeting and declare your candidacy, and you must reside within the PSNA boundaries. The same qualifications hold true for voters, but only one vote is allowed per household. Additionally, to run for president, you need to have served a previous term as a board member or committee chair.
The Wed., Nov. 7 meeting will begin, as usual, at 7 p.m. at the Lawn Bowling Clubhouse (Santiago Park at Valencia Street.) For more information, contact PSNA Secretary Béa Tiritilli at firstname.lastname@example.org or 714-532-2714.