Homeless Issues; Change of Bylaws; Vote!

Our October 5 PSNA meeting will focus on local homeless issues from a SAPD perspective. We are also preparing for a change of the guard (new board members) and a Bylaws amendment coming up at our November meeting.

Park Santiago Neighborhood Association Meeting Agenda (draft) – Wed., Oct. 5, 2016 7 p.m., Lawn Bowling Clubhouse  (Valencia at Santiago Park)

  1. Introductions
  2. Secretary’s report (Michelle O’Valle, substitute secretary) We need to pass two months worth of minutes. See below.
  3. Treasurer’s report: (Bill)
  4. Committee reports:
  • Traffic
  • Community Watch
  • Communications, including e-news; and Newsletter and Website committees
  • Hoover linkage
  • Hospitality (including progressive dinner Oct. 1)
  • Elections and bylaws (reminder of proposed bylaw amendment—see below. We will vote on changes at the Nov. meeting.)
  • Santiago Park
  • Budget
  1. Next meeting: First Weds. of November. This will be our election meeting. For a list of positions, see Bylaws tab on our website (www.park-santiago.com). Guest speakers TBD. See ideas in minutes from June meeting.
  2. Announcements/other
  3. Guest speaker: A SAPD corporal will discuss homeless issues in and near our neighborhood.

Park Santiago Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes (draft) –Wed., Aug. 3, 2016 7 p.m., Lawn Bowling Clubhouse

  1. Introductions
  2. Secretary’s report (including need for substitute to take minutes Oct.-Nov.): (Béa) – Michelle O’Valle can sub. No quorum. Present: Three Ex Board members (Michael O., James R., Béa T.) and 3 QRs (Deborah H. Bobbie R., Kathleen H.)
  3. Treasurer’s report: (Bill) – Bill was absent and left no report.
  4. Committee reports:
  • Traffic – Streets have been quiet as per Michael O. and Dale
  • Community Watch – Heidi, in attendance, said she will help organize it, as well neighbor Armando Telles.
  • Communications, including e-news; and Newsletter and Website committees – website is updated; still waiting for a volunteer to edit newsletter
  • Hoover linkage – Bobbie R. introduced Armando Gutierrez, new principal. She also said we have a new superintendent in Santa Ana. Mr. Gutierrez encourages parents of young people to send their children to Hoover.
  • Hospitality (including progressive dinner Oct. 1) Christine D.H. Flyers have been donated. Raffle tickets will be sold. Raffle-prize donations are needed.
  • Elections and bylaws (including proposed bylaw amendment—see below. We discussed wording tonight and the association will vote on changes at the Nov. meeting.) Eric Sulli, who lives at 21st and Lincoln, was voted in as SE QR unanimously pending e-vote due to lack of quorum. The following QRs stated via e-vote, after the meeting, that they affirmed this vote: Mary Clark, Janelle Mason, Patty Maize.
  • Santiago Park – we discussed crime (including drugs and graffiti) in park. Bobbie R. said there may be funding to bring back mounted police. Bathrooms behind ball diamond have been closed permanently.
  • Budget – no report
  1. Next meetings: First Weds. of the following months: October and November. Guest speakers TBD. See ideas in minutes from last meeting. Bobbie is working on getting a speaker to talk about neighborhood trees at a future meeting. She will also try to find someone from code enforcement to speak.
  2. Announcements/other – Christine H. said an arborist is treating parkway trees for disease. Armando Telles said he is working on a nonpartisan voter-registration drive.
  3. Guest speaker: Judson Brown, Housing Division Manager, Community Development Agency, Housing and Neighborhood Development Division. Mr. Brown will discuss long-term solutions to homelessness in our community. More than 16,000 people applied for Section 8 when the waiting list opened recently, and less than 3,000 spots are available. More than 400 people are living at the Civic Center, and he said he sometimes has to step over them when going into his office. Homeless collaborative is forming (government and faith-based communities working together). Housing-first model puts people into housing regardless of negative status, such as criminal background. Juanita Preciado with OC Social Services coordinates with police, health care, etc. to provide help. He is pushing the county to help more.

PROPOSED BYLAW AMENDMENTS (SEE TEXT IN RED/Italicized)

ARTICLE XVll QUORUMS

Section 1:

If a quorum is not reached, NO ASSOCIATION business can be conducted. The acceptable motion is to “adjourn to the next scheduled meeting.” Under exceptional circumstances when there is an urgent need, quorum may be established and a vote taken via electronic media.

Section 2: Executive Board

Two of the current Executive officers must be present. The secretary or the Secretary’s designated alternate must be present to take minutes. “Current Executive officer” is defined as any officer who has not missed two or more consecutive general board meetings.

Section 3: General Board

50% of all current Quad Reps must be present. “Current Quad Rep” is defined as any elected or appointed Quad Rep who has not missed two or more consecutive board meetings. Quad Reps who cannot be present may send an alternate of their choice up to twice per year. The alternate must reside in their quad and be at least 18 years of age. The Quad Rep must inform all executive board members in writing (such as by text or email) about their choice of alternate at least one hour prior to the meeting.

Section 4: Association General Meeting

Those present at the meeting provided that notice of the meeting was given by newsletter, or hand-delivered flyer, or reasonable electronic means 14 days before the meeting date to all residents.

Park Santiago Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes (draft) – Wed., June 1, 2016 7 p.m., Lawn Bowling Clubhouse

Present: Béa, Michael, Bill; and Quad Reps Patty, Janelle, Kathleen H., Bobbie

Secretary’s report: (Béa) – no quorum, but we nearly had a quorum, so we’ll meet it via email before voting on all matters starred below. (In other words, we were QR and one vote short on each.) Minutes from last meeting passed unanimously, with changes highlighted below, by all board members present (pending e-vote). *

Treasurer’s report: (Bill) We’ve issued one check since the last meeting for Easter supplies, and one has cleared for $109.59. Last balance was $4,247.80, and closing balance this month $4,138.21.

July 4th Parade (Béa, Ling-ka Brown, Meaghan Laverty) $300 voted in unanimously by all board members present (pending email vote). *

Progressive Dinner (Christine D.) $300 voted in unanimously by all board members present (pending email vote). *

Committee reports:

  • Traffic- Peggy W. has moved. Dale and Michael are now co-chairs. Couple with new baby (who had agreed to help) hasn’t been in touch. Sue McDonald said she heard that, when railroad improvements are made at Lincoln and 17th, they may have to reroute traffic through our neighborhood.
  • Community Watch – We should put a blast out on Nextdoor forum as we don’t have a current leader. Bobbie mentioned the need for more code enforcement.
  • Communications, including e-news; and Newsletter and Website committees – We should put a blast out on Nextdoor forum as we don’t have a current leader. A motion was passed unanimously to pay a 50% stipend (via ad revenue) for anyone willing to put together a newsletter. The other 50% will pay for printing and any left over will go into our treasury. Béa will write up classified ad.
  • Hoover linkage – The principal and superintendent have resigned. Interviews are taking place for replacements.
  • Hospitality – Progressive dinner (planned for early fall) and July 4th parade are being planned.
  • Elections and bylaws – Béa will write up a potential by-law change to make it easier for Quad Reps to send representatives (up to twice yearly) in order to help us make quorum.
  • Santiago Park – We discussed the homeless problem. They are allowed to be in the park by day but not overnight. We discussed potential solutions, but there isn’t much we can do as individual private citizens. New park rangers have been hired.
  • Budget – No additions

Next meetings: First Weds. of the following months: August, October and November. Possible guest speakers: Bobbie will try to arrange for code enforcement to come out for one meeting, Angie Amezcua for another, and a city arborist for the August meeting. Bill said a pesticide vendor has been hired by the city to try to save trees that are infested by beetles or other pests.

Announcements/other. None. Meeting adjourned at 8:02.

 

Advertisements

Comments Off on Homeless Issues; Change of Bylaws; Vote!

Filed under Uncategorized

Comments are closed.