Category Archives: Uncategorized

Neighborhood Election Meeting Wed., Nov. 1

Park Santiago Neighborhood Association will hold its annual election meeting Wed., Nov. 1, 7 p.m., at the Lawn Bowling Clubhouse. Offices residents can run for include president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, or one of 12 quadrant-representative positions. PSNA has four quadrants separated by the intersection of Santa Clara and Santiago, with three quad. reps. in each.

Job descriptions and qualifications for each PSNA board position are outlined in our bylaws, which can be accessed at https://park-santiago.com/bylaws/.

PSNA residents can nominate a neighbor or declare their candidacy directly at the meeting Nov. 1. The Lawn Bowling Clubhouse is in Santiago Park at the north end of Valencia Street.

The full agenda for this meeting is still in progress, and will include reports from all neighborhood  committees and a conversation about the proposed development at the Wells Fargo site (Main and Edgewood). Our guest speaker will be a representative from the mounted police.

Advertisements

Comments Off on Neighborhood Election Meeting Wed., Nov. 1

Filed under Uncategorized

Park Santiago Neighborhood Agenda

PSNA Meeting Agenda for Weds., Aug. 2nd 7 p.m., Lawn Bowling Clubhouse (Valencia St. at Santiago Park)

  1. Introductions
    1. Roll Call taken
  2. Secretary’s report:
    1. June Meeting Minutes: Needs approval today
  3. Treasurer’s report: (Bill):
    1. Any changes in PSNA account
  4. Committee reports:
  • Traffic
  • Community Watch
  • Communications, including e-news; and Newsletter and Website committees
    • Newsletter: Silvia, Park Santiago resident, completed July newsletter. Looking for articles for September newsletter. Will be placing list of PSNA board members on this article.
    • Boards/Signs: Michelle O’Valle, Silvia and Dolores have been placing them on streets before meeting. Keep them out for Progressive dinner.
    • Website: Our website is park-santiago.com
  • Hoover linkage
  • Hospitality
  • July 4th Parade
  • Walking Group: Looking for a way to get more people to join. Last walking group was Thursday July 27ht.
  • Progressive Dinner: Saturday September 16th at 5 pm. Looking for two houses.
  • Elections and bylaws
  • Santiago Park
  • Mounted police
  • Homeless
  • Budget
  1. Next meeting: ______________
  2. Announcements/other
  3. Speakers: Lawn Bowling Club representative; Councilmen Juan Villegas

Comments Off on Park Santiago Neighborhood Agenda

Filed under Uncategorized

Park Santiago Progressive Dinner needs your help.

Please contact Christine by Email at cdennyhelvig@msn.com

Comments Off on Park Santiago Progressive Dinner needs your help.

Filed under Uncategorized

Annual July 4th Parade

Parade-2017

PARADE (FLYER) 2017

Comments Off on Annual July 4th Parade

Filed under Uncategorized

Meeting Weds., Feb. 1.

Draft agenda for PSNA meeting of Feb. 1:

Park Santiago Neighborhood Association Meeting Agenda (draft)
Wed., Feb. 1,  7 p.m., Lawn Bowling Clubhouse
 
1.         Introductions
2.         Secretary’s report (Michelle) Determine quorum, pass last month’s minutes
3.         Treasurer’s report: (Bill)
4.         Committee reports:
·      Traffic
·      Community Watch
·      Communications, including e-news; and Newsletter and Website committees
·      Hoover linkage
·      Hospitality
·      Elections and bylaws
·      Santiago Park
·      Budget
 
5.         Next meeting: First Weds. of . Guest speakers TBA
6.         Announcements/other
7.         Guest speaker: Hoover Elementary Principal

Comments Off on Meeting Weds., Feb. 1.

Filed under Uncategorized

Nov. 2 Meeting – Vote for Bylaws and Leaders

We will be voting for new leaders and possible bylaws changes at our Nov. PSNA meeting. For proposed Bylaws changes, see last month’s post on this website. For information about positions you can run for, please click on the Bylaws link on this website.

Park Santiago Neighborhood Association Meeting Agenda

Wed., Nov. 2, 2016 7 p.m., Lawn Bowling Clubhouse (Valencia at Santiago Park)

  1. Introductions
  2. Secretary’s report (Michelle O’Valle, substitute secretary). We need to pass last month’s minutes. Béa Tiritilli—who arrived late to the last meeting and will arrive late to this one—is asking for a clarification as to whether the previous two month’s meeting minutes were approved.
  3. Treasurer’s report: (Bill)
  4. Committee reports:
  • Traffic
  • Community Watch
  • Communications, including e-news; and Newsletter and Website committees
  • Hoover linkage
  • Hospitality
  • Elections and bylaws (see below, #7)
  • Santiago Park
  • Budget
  1. Volunteer needed to be in charge of sandwich boards (Mike)
  2. Next meetings: Proposed for first Weds. of the following moths in 2016: Feb., April, June, Aug., Oct. Nov. Speaker/topic ideas are needed.
  3. Announcements/other
  4. Election
  5. Guest speaker: TBD

Roll Call 2016:

At the August meeting, we discussed how hard it is to make quorum at times and be able to vote. The secretary was asked to publish attendance for 2016 and make it available at the Nov. election meeting. As of October, we had had five meetings in 2016, but attendance was inadvertently not taken in April; thus, we have attendance listed for four of those meetings. Here is the list of absences:

 Executive Board

  • President Mike O’Valle – attended all four meetings
  • Vice President James Rosenquist – absent June
  • Treasurer Bill Bonnett – absent August
  • Secretary Béa Tiritilli – attended all four meetings (but late in October)

 Northeast Quadrant Representatives

  • Deborah Hicks – attended all four meetings
  • Dolores Aguilar – absent June, August
  • Paul Lujan – absent June, August

Northwest Quadrant Representatives

  • Mary Clark – absent June, August
  • Janelle Mason –absent August, October
  • Patty Sigmon-Maize –absent August, October

Southeast Quadrant Representative

  • Veronica Armendariz – absent June, August
  • Eric Sulli – appointed at August meeting; no absences

Southwest Quadrant Representatives

  • Kathleen Hoolihan – attended all four meetings
  • Bobbie Rooker – attended all four meetings

Comments Off on Nov. 2 Meeting – Vote for Bylaws and Leaders

Filed under Uncategorized

Homeless Issues; Change of Bylaws; Vote!

Our October 5 PSNA meeting will focus on local homeless issues from a SAPD perspective. We are also preparing for a change of the guard (new board members) and a Bylaws amendment coming up at our November meeting.

Park Santiago Neighborhood Association Meeting Agenda (draft) – Wed., Oct. 5, 2016 7 p.m., Lawn Bowling Clubhouse  (Valencia at Santiago Park)

  1. Introductions
  2. Secretary’s report (Michelle O’Valle, substitute secretary) We need to pass two months worth of minutes. See below.
  3. Treasurer’s report: (Bill)
  4. Committee reports:
  • Traffic
  • Community Watch
  • Communications, including e-news; and Newsletter and Website committees
  • Hoover linkage
  • Hospitality (including progressive dinner Oct. 1)
  • Elections and bylaws (reminder of proposed bylaw amendment—see below. We will vote on changes at the Nov. meeting.)
  • Santiago Park
  • Budget
  1. Next meeting: First Weds. of November. This will be our election meeting. For a list of positions, see Bylaws tab on our website (www.park-santiago.com). Guest speakers TBD. See ideas in minutes from June meeting.
  2. Announcements/other
  3. Guest speaker: A SAPD corporal will discuss homeless issues in and near our neighborhood.

Park Santiago Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes (draft) –Wed., Aug. 3, 2016 7 p.m., Lawn Bowling Clubhouse

  1. Introductions
  2. Secretary’s report (including need for substitute to take minutes Oct.-Nov.): (Béa) – Michelle O’Valle can sub. No quorum. Present: Three Ex Board members (Michael O., James R., Béa T.) and 3 QRs (Deborah H. Bobbie R., Kathleen H.)
  3. Treasurer’s report: (Bill) – Bill was absent and left no report.
  4. Committee reports:
  • Traffic – Streets have been quiet as per Michael O. and Dale
  • Community Watch – Heidi, in attendance, said she will help organize it, as well neighbor Armando Telles.
  • Communications, including e-news; and Newsletter and Website committees – website is updated; still waiting for a volunteer to edit newsletter
  • Hoover linkage – Bobbie R. introduced Armando Gutierrez, new principal. She also said we have a new superintendent in Santa Ana. Mr. Gutierrez encourages parents of young people to send their children to Hoover.
  • Hospitality (including progressive dinner Oct. 1) Christine D.H. Flyers have been donated. Raffle tickets will be sold. Raffle-prize donations are needed.
  • Elections and bylaws (including proposed bylaw amendment—see below. We discussed wording tonight and the association will vote on changes at the Nov. meeting.) Eric Sulli, who lives at 21st and Lincoln, was voted in as SE QR unanimously pending e-vote due to lack of quorum. The following QRs stated via e-vote, after the meeting, that they affirmed this vote: Mary Clark, Janelle Mason, Patty Maize.
  • Santiago Park – we discussed crime (including drugs and graffiti) in park. Bobbie R. said there may be funding to bring back mounted police. Bathrooms behind ball diamond have been closed permanently.
  • Budget – no report
  1. Next meetings: First Weds. of the following months: October and November. Guest speakers TBD. See ideas in minutes from last meeting. Bobbie is working on getting a speaker to talk about neighborhood trees at a future meeting. She will also try to find someone from code enforcement to speak.
  2. Announcements/other – Christine H. said an arborist is treating parkway trees for disease. Armando Telles said he is working on a nonpartisan voter-registration drive.
  3. Guest speaker: Judson Brown, Housing Division Manager, Community Development Agency, Housing and Neighborhood Development Division. Mr. Brown will discuss long-term solutions to homelessness in our community. More than 16,000 people applied for Section 8 when the waiting list opened recently, and less than 3,000 spots are available. More than 400 people are living at the Civic Center, and he said he sometimes has to step over them when going into his office. Homeless collaborative is forming (government and faith-based communities working together). Housing-first model puts people into housing regardless of negative status, such as criminal background. Juanita Preciado with OC Social Services coordinates with police, health care, etc. to provide help. He is pushing the county to help more.

PROPOSED BYLAW AMENDMENTS (SEE TEXT IN RED/Italicized)

ARTICLE XVll QUORUMS

Section 1:

If a quorum is not reached, NO ASSOCIATION business can be conducted. The acceptable motion is to “adjourn to the next scheduled meeting.” Under exceptional circumstances when there is an urgent need, quorum may be established and a vote taken via electronic media.

Section 2: Executive Board

Two of the current Executive officers must be present. The secretary or the Secretary’s designated alternate must be present to take minutes. “Current Executive officer” is defined as any officer who has not missed two or more consecutive general board meetings.

Section 3: General Board

50% of all current Quad Reps must be present. “Current Quad Rep” is defined as any elected or appointed Quad Rep who has not missed two or more consecutive board meetings. Quad Reps who cannot be present may send an alternate of their choice up to twice per year. The alternate must reside in their quad and be at least 18 years of age. The Quad Rep must inform all executive board members in writing (such as by text or email) about their choice of alternate at least one hour prior to the meeting.

Section 4: Association General Meeting

Those present at the meeting provided that notice of the meeting was given by newsletter, or hand-delivered flyer, or reasonable electronic means 14 days before the meeting date to all residents.

Park Santiago Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes (draft) – Wed., June 1, 2016 7 p.m., Lawn Bowling Clubhouse

Present: Béa, Michael, Bill; and Quad Reps Patty, Janelle, Kathleen H., Bobbie

Secretary’s report: (Béa) – no quorum, but we nearly had a quorum, so we’ll meet it via email before voting on all matters starred below. (In other words, we were QR and one vote short on each.) Minutes from last meeting passed unanimously, with changes highlighted below, by all board members present (pending e-vote). *

Treasurer’s report: (Bill) We’ve issued one check since the last meeting for Easter supplies, and one has cleared for $109.59. Last balance was $4,247.80, and closing balance this month $4,138.21.

July 4th Parade (Béa, Ling-ka Brown, Meaghan Laverty) $300 voted in unanimously by all board members present (pending email vote). *

Progressive Dinner (Christine D.) $300 voted in unanimously by all board members present (pending email vote). *

Committee reports:

  • Traffic- Peggy W. has moved. Dale and Michael are now co-chairs. Couple with new baby (who had agreed to help) hasn’t been in touch. Sue McDonald said she heard that, when railroad improvements are made at Lincoln and 17th, they may have to reroute traffic through our neighborhood.
  • Community Watch – We should put a blast out on Nextdoor forum as we don’t have a current leader. Bobbie mentioned the need for more code enforcement.
  • Communications, including e-news; and Newsletter and Website committees – We should put a blast out on Nextdoor forum as we don’t have a current leader. A motion was passed unanimously to pay a 50% stipend (via ad revenue) for anyone willing to put together a newsletter. The other 50% will pay for printing and any left over will go into our treasury. Béa will write up classified ad.
  • Hoover linkage – The principal and superintendent have resigned. Interviews are taking place for replacements.
  • Hospitality – Progressive dinner (planned for early fall) and July 4th parade are being planned.
  • Elections and bylaws – Béa will write up a potential by-law change to make it easier for Quad Reps to send representatives (up to twice yearly) in order to help us make quorum.
  • Santiago Park – We discussed the homeless problem. They are allowed to be in the park by day but not overnight. We discussed potential solutions, but there isn’t much we can do as individual private citizens. New park rangers have been hired.
  • Budget – No additions

Next meetings: First Weds. of the following months: August, October and November. Possible guest speakers: Bobbie will try to arrange for code enforcement to come out for one meeting, Angie Amezcua for another, and a city arborist for the August meeting. Bill said a pesticide vendor has been hired by the city to try to save trees that are infested by beetles or other pests.

Announcements/other. None. Meeting adjourned at 8:02.

 

Comments Off on Homeless Issues; Change of Bylaws; Vote!

Filed under Uncategorized